SOAP, the granddaddy of all web services will retire soon.
The reason SOAP is going to retire is the simplicity of REST.
Don’t be confused. SOAP will still be used for:
* Asynchronous processing and invocation;
* Formal contracts
* Stateful operations
* XML based trafic (remember SOAP relies on XML)
Because SOAP contains many standards inside for the state-full and reliable communication – needed for instance in E-commerce.
REST is good for:
* Limited bandwidth traffic
* Simple GET, PUT, POST, and DELETE verbs HTTP traffic.
* XMLHttpRequest object traffic support needed for AJAX. (All modern browsers support it today.)
* Totally stateless operations perfect for stateless CRUD (Create, Read, Update, and Delete) operations.
This doesn’t mean REST cannot be used for E-commerce, but you will need to adhere to some standards or have your own state-full organisation.